Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Keep Kids Physically Active

I was doing my daily walk on my treadmill earlier today while I was looking at the Living Well Network. They featured a guy about 22 years old and close to 400 LBS. You guessed it, he was trying to loose weight.
Seems like some people just wake up one day and wondered what happened to their health.
This reminded me about a blog I wrote several weeks ago about paying attention.
If you don't pay attention to your health you will pay the price.

Here is my take on what's happening today.
Kids are less active than WE used to be when I was growing up.
I see very few kids doing any type of outdoor activities.
Looks like they wake up and go to school.
They then come home and do home work.
If kids do anything else its on an electronic device.
We have the smart phones, Playstation, Xbox, Wii, Nintendo, etc.
All kids do today is SIT and PLAY.

What happened to GOING OUTSIDE and PLAYING with your friends?
What happened to PHYSICAL PLAY?

With so much less physical play activity it's no wonder kids are putting on more weight.
I remember growing up and 99% of all kids were very slim. The other 1% were not really that big anyway. Today we see less than 40% slim and more than 40% overweight with 20% seriously OBESE.

I understand that we are living in different times and you just cannot let kids today go outside and PLAY without some sick psychopath attempting to take them. However, it's the grown-ups that must make the effort to take kids outside. Guess what, it will be good for your health too.

Well, some will say that parents are SO BUSY working and we have no time to PLAY.
So, here is what I have to say about that statement.
How much does a SICK KID cost?
I suggest that we work less and play more with kids.
What's the point working to PAY MEDICAL BILLS?
Adults need to learn how to manage their time wisely.
Do not loose focus on the important things in life.
Do not forget the important PEOPLE in our lives.

If we do not teach our kids to stay active and MAKE IT A HABIT to stay active we will have a HUGE PRICE to pay later in life.

Eat healthy and Stay physically Active.

Times have changed.
Remember going outside and riding your bike all day long?
Remember playing outside with real friends and playing real games?
Remember playing and falling and getting cut and bruised and thinking it was FUN?
Remember sweating and drinking TAP water and not dying?

I could go on and on....but you get the point.

Funny, but my son just asked me "DAD, DO YOU EVER WORK?"

Looks like the time I spend with him is always QUALITY TIME doing activities WE BOTH like doing.

Go on trail walks. Walk around the Mall. Wrestle and PLAY fight. Ride bikes. Just DO something physical. Get a treadmill and walk while watching your favorite show.

Kids stay active when they see you being active.

Find a way to stay active and everyone will live a healthier life.













Think and Implement Daily
Barry Dillah

No comments:

Post a Comment